Saturday, June 22, 2013

Meet The Crew

 
 
 
Getting it together


Country Club of Barre Maintenance Crew 2013
Roger Rivard, Tom McCallum, Mark Miller, Chris Relation, Richard "Hayseed" Grenier, Russ Brown, Tom Corbett
Taylor Sayers, Bill Evans & Maya, Bryant Roberts, Troy Evans
Missing from photo, Corey Boulanger

     This year our maintenance crew is comprised of 6 full timers, 5 part timers and myself.   All  but Corey are returning employees, many with several years of service to the Country Club of Barre.  Everyday, I am thankful to work with such a uniquely talented, dependable and committed group.  It is no easy task to maintain more than 130 acres to the exacting standards of a golfing membership.  On any given day the crew can be confronted with numerous impediments to completing their jobs,  inclement weather, equipment malfunctions and breakdowns, mother natures interference be it pest or disease related, downed trees, or washed out cart paths, and yes even golfers and play, yet they all carry on, day in and day out without complaint.  They know during the summer months that their schedules will not always be certain (no 9 to 5!), starting time can be as early as 5:00 am and days off will be few and far between.  One thing however is for certain when working on a golf course, the work is never done! 

   During my tenure,  I have enjoyed working with several different crew members and a few characters!  I have often kidded that someday I am going to sit down and write a book about the many funny experiences encountered.  I am particularly proud of the fact that three past crew members have valued their experiences here at the Country Club of Barre enough to go onto further their education in the field of Golf Course Maintenance and now work at other courses:  Derek Pedley presently at Vermont National Country Club, Royal Healy who recently graduated from the University of Massachusetts and now works at Belmont Country Club in Belmont, Massachusetts, and my son Mitchell Evans who recently graduated from Horry-Georgetown Technical College in East Conway, South Carolina and now works at the Dunes Golf and Beach Club in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. 

  If we on the crew do our jobs correctly, you may rarely encounter us.  For the next several posts I would like to briefly introduce you to the guys that work so hard to enhance your golfing experience. 

 
Tom Corbett
2nd Assistant

Tom is entering his sixth season working on the grounds crew at the Country Club of Barre but he has a long association with the club: 

     I grew up in Woodbury Vermont and graduated from Hazen Union High School in 2004. Following high school I attended the New England School of Communications in Bangor Maine, graduating with honors in 2008 with a bachelors degree in communications with focuses in sports broadcasting and television and video productions. I started playing golf at the Country Club of  Barre in 4th grade playing in the Wednesday Junior scrambles.  I was 15 when I got my first job at the club washing dishes in the kitchen for my dad who was employed as the chef  for more than 15 years. I returned to work on the grounds crew after graduating in 2008.   What was supposed to be a quick summer job before finding something more permanent, has turned into 6 years and a job I really enjoy. Away from the course I also work for WDEV radio in Waterbury hosting a sports talk show from 6:00 pm to midnight, as well as providing local play by play for many local sporting events. I am the Vice President of cvtsport.net and own my own video production company, Rundown Productions specializing in the creation of college recruiting videos for high school athletes and any sports projects that may interest me.      

Many thanks to Tom for his years of dedication, dependability and hard work.

 
Until next time..........
  

No comments:

Post a Comment