Sunday, June 30, 2013

Rain, Rain....What a Difference a Year Makes

     So, lets talk about the weather........specifically the rain we have been having and the upcoming forecast.  If you were hoping to play on Friday, unfortunately, the course had to raise the white flag after the morning downpour.  Saturated conditions and standing water in fairways and approaches made the course unplayable.  Prior to Friday and still, due to the wet conditions we have been asking that cart use be limited to rough and car paths only.  Thank you to all who have adhered, it really makes a dramatic difference to course and fairway conditions.  Looking ahead to the next few days, more rain looks to be imminent.  Hopefully by weeks end this front will pull out and we will have some sunshine to help get things back to normal.  So far, irrigation has not been required to any great degree this year.  To date we have not experienced any of the potential wet condition disease issues but remain ever watchful.  Wet conditions of course allow for increased turf growth and more frequent mowing.




Standing Water on #14 Approach
Water in the Fairway on #9

      Last year at this time, we were dealing with the beginning of drought like conditions.  Our holding pond levels for our irrigation system were dangerously low.  The ability to irrigate fairways was in jeopardy, opting to keep reserves for greens and tees.  The fuel consumption and wear and tear on our 13 year old pump and nearly 30 year old irrigation system were constant concerns.  All just one more example of what a difference a year, even a week can make and that Mother Nature is really the one calling the shots.


Irrigation Pump
 

Employee Profile

Mark Miller
Assistant Superintendent
 
 
 
"I was born and raised in the small town of Tunnel, New York and lived there for the first 14 years of my life. My family moved to Florida and I have loved the south ever since. After getting out of the Army in 82 , I did some golf course jobs in Florida and Georgia . After Hurricane Opal came through Panama City , Florida I moved my mom and myself up to New York. Then I met my wonderful wife Penny and moved to Vermont. I met Bill in the spring of 97 and applied for work. Little did I know it would last this long !! Working for Bill and the guys has been an experience . But I wouldn’t have it any other way.  I had the pleasure of seeing my son (Montana) work last summer for the club and hopefully he will come back.  I don’t think I will ever get tired of being outdoors early in the morning when you can actually see deer, fox, ducks and moose . These things make it special to be here.  I am glad he gave me the chance 16 years ago . Now I work on the irrigation and spray for the course as well as operating most of the equipment . Hopefully I can go another 16 !!!!"
 
It has truly been my pleasure to have worked with Mark for as he says 16 years!  He is always smiling, very outgoing, dependable, and he makes my job easier.  Thank you Mark for your hard work and dedication.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment